Closets need love too!
Valentine's Day is the day of love.
Loving people and pets are obvious. But what about the closet? Give that some love too with these tips and tricks that would make Marie Kondo proud. After all taking care of your closet is taking care of your self. And that's important on Valentine's Day
- Start by making a spot for two piles: Toss and Donate.
- Go through and take out anything you know is ripped, stained or damaged and put them in the toss pile. If you haven't fixed it right away, chances are its not going to happen.**Note, I do keep two sets of "workin" clothes. Clothes I don't mind getting dirty/stained. Its super important to have SOMETHING old to put on just in case. But limit it to two sets (pants and shirt) and one pair of old tennis shoes. Anything more than that is overkill.
- Does it fit? Too big? Too small? Donate Pile. We all have "aspirational" pants we fit in 10 years ago, but if you lose weight celebrate with some new pants!
- Is the item still in style? Sure, a lot of trends tend to circle around and become popular again but that can take years. You don't want to give up valuable closet real estate for a trend that MIGHT come back when you could use that space for something that you LOVE now. Donate these items. The fabric can always be repurposed for something great.
- Hang your clothes in groups. Separate your shirts by sleeve length- long sleeve, short sleeve and sleeveless. Take it to the next level and organize by color too.
- Do you love it? Do you feel great in when you wearing it? Or does it make you feel self-conscious or blah. Keep clothes that make you feel like a million bucks. Chuck the others.
- When's the last time you wore that? If its been more than a year it needs to go!
- Do a seasonal swap. Designate a tote for spring, summer, winter and fall. Off-season clothes go to storage. You free up space and give yourself a chance to evaluate it next season before putting it back in your closet.
- Make it fun! Invite your best friend over to help. Put on some fun music, pour yourself a drink and get to work!
These are just a few quick and easy things you can do to tidy up your closet.
“I was the first woman to burn my bra. It took the fire department four days to put it out”- Dolly Parton